Decision Maker: Lewes District Council Full Council
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Councillor Brett moved and Councillor O’Brien seconded the motion in support of Ukrainian Refugees as set out on the agenda.
The motion was debated by the Council. There was a difference of opinion over whether the additional funding should be a separate fund which was ringfenced for use for Ukrainian refugees or not, and whether all of the proposals in the proposed motion were required. However, no formal amendments were submitted at the meeting. There was shared view across the Council on the need to do more to support Ukrainian refugees.
The motion was put to a vote and carried by 25 votes to 0, with 10 abstentions.
The Council resolves to ask the Leader of the Council to write to the Home Secretary and local MPs including the following:
1. A request for urgent clarification on the plan for refugees in our District once the initial six months ends.
2. To remind them that a system to support those fleeing the conflict in Ukraine and honour the promise of sanctuary which has been given as well as acknowledge the commitment already made by those who have already opened their homes.
3. To request that they urgently seek a second tranche of placement hosts in the towns where many are already living, and children are being educated.
4. To take steps to support refugees looking to move into privately rented accommodation specifically increasing the Homeless Prevention Grant above the current level of £520K. This will enable the Lewes District Council Housing Needs Team to better address the emerging housing issues of this particular group of residents.
5. To increase the Local Housing Allowance to better reflect the costs of rents within Lewes District outside those in the Affordable / Social Rent sector in order to prevent a further deterioration in availability of suitable housing for all those in need of appropriate local accommodation.
Publication date: 04/08/2022
Date of decision: 18/07/2022
Decided at meeting: 18/07/2022 - Lewes District Council Full Council